Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Upon closer inspection, my glass is half full

Yes, I'm over my little funk. I'm usually a "glass is half full" kind of girl, but I had a brief  "my glass is half empty because a big jerk drank my Gatorade" moment. But I am happy to do the sport that I love with dozens of people who train respectfully and productively with me. And I can be better about establishing boundaries when necessary.

On another note, I have finally decided on a jiu jitsu tattoo, which I plan to get after the Mundials. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but haven't found anything that really grabbed me - until I saw this:

The Celtic tree of life symbolizes balance, harmony, and strength. Now, you are probably looking at the image, thinking "That's a pretty tree, but what does it have to do with jiu jitsu?"

Well, jiu jitsu is a life long journey. Strength and balance are important in the martial art. Plus, trees are cool because they grow throughout their lives and sustain creatures around them. But I'm going to make a few adjustments to the image to make it more relevant:
1)  Instead of the butterfly, I'm going to put the characters for jiu jitsu. I'm thinking of adjusting the shape of the trunk, so I can fit one character on each side.
 
2) I'm going to omit the 2 interior daisy-shaped flowers, so that there are 5 in total. The first flower I am going to color in blue. When I get my purple belt, I will fill the next flower in purple...and in due time, there will be a brown and then a black flower. If I live long enough to ever get a red belt, well, there is a flower left for that one too. By that point the tattoo would be extremely wrinkly, but I would walk around with full confidence in my ability to defend myself against other residents of my nursing home. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment